Laser hair removal for dark skin works if you choose the right device. How to pick the right treatment? Find out now.
It is time to put the mythic that brown girls can’t have laser hair removal to the past. If you have a tan, you can still get permanent laser hair removal treatment. But first we will show you how to get the safest laser hair removal experience. I know a lot of women been excited to try laser treatment which is great that now they can finally able to do it.
There are two kinds of lasers, at-home laser hair removal and clinical laser hair removal for dark skin. In this article, we will show you the differences between the two types in detail.
Table Of Contents
- 1 How Does Laser Work?
- 2 The Best Lasers For Dark Skin Tone
- 3 At-Home Laser Hair Removal
- 4 Clinical Laser Hair Removal For Dark Skin
- 5 Cost Of Laser Treatment At Clinics
- 6 How To Prepare For Laser Hair Removal Treatments
- 7 Iluminage Touch … IPL Laser Hair Removal For Dark Skin
- 8 Laser Hair Removal For Dark Skin Side Effects
- 9 What To Do After Your Laser Hair Removal Session?
- 10 Conclusion
How Does Laser Work?
The laser works by targeting the melanin inside the hair follicle. The device produces an intense beam of light that causes permanent damage to the hair. But because the laser targets the melanin pigment, the best candidate for the treatment is people who have fair skin tone and dark hair color. That’s why laser wasn’t working for people who have brown and black skin tone. If the technician is not trained enough, the treatment might cause blistering, skin inflammation, and scars in the skin around the hair folicle.
Today, laser hair removal technology is more advanced. The intense light used is much more precise to target the hair without causing damage to the skin surrounding. Advanced laser machines can treat a wider variety of skin tones and hair colors.
The Best Lasers For Dark Skin Tone
First, you need to understand how the two types of lasers actually work which are Nd:YAG and diode. They both can be used for dark skin tone and hair color. However, YAG is more suitable for dark skin tones. The wavelength goes deep into the skin more than the diode laser. Experts found YAG is more safe for people who have medium to dark skin tones. The technician must be qualified to do such laser hair removal treatment because people with dark skin need less light per pulse. Overall, the YAG light is the least painful laser treatment.
Nd:YAG Laser Hair Removal For Dark Skin
Nd: YAG laser has a longer wavelength of 400-1200 nm that can target all melanin colors especially dark ones. The longer laser beam can travel deep underneath the skin to reach melanin in hair follicles without harming epidermal pigment.
When compared to other lasers, Nd: YAG is the most effective one on all skins and hairs. Also, the Food and Drug Administration “FDA” has approved the this technology for laser hair removal for dark skin. However, like other technologies, Nd: YAG laser works very well after multiple treatment sessions. Moreover, it’s effective on body hair, facial hair, and even bushy hair on dark skin.
Nd:YAG laser has so many benefits which include:
- Suitable for both men and women
- Works on all skin & hair types
- Up to 92% hair reduction within 10 sessions
- Permanent results, 6+ months of hair-free skin
- Works on all facial and body areas
- Painless and safe, you may feel discomfort during the first session though
At-Home Laser Hair Removal
If you are a dark-skinned woman, you should know that most at-home laser devices are not suitable for you. Don’t be disappointed, science develops every day and finds a solution for every problem. Scientists have found a new technology suitable for all skin types called “elōs”. It consists of Intense Pulsed Light “IPL” and Radio Frequency “RF” energies. This technology delivers unprecedented fast, safe, and effective treatments for smooth, hair-free skin.
Also, like other light-based technologies, ELOS leaves the surrounding skin untouched and free of potentially harmful side effects. However, it takes more than 3 treatments to affect all the follicles growing in a single area. Most people get their results within 4-10 sessions, individual results vary depending on genetic and hormonal factors.
Moreover, light-colored hair may require more treatments than darker ones. In the same vein, dark skin tones may need more treatments than finer ones.
It’s worth mentioning that the best device that uses this technology is the famous Illuminage Touch. So, now you can say bye-bye to unwanted hair with laser hair removal for dark skin, Illuminate Touch.
Clinical Laser Hair Removal For Dark Skin
When I write clinical laser, I always accompany it with “for dark skin”. It doesn’t mean that it only works on dark skins, but it’s the most effective on them. Nowadays, there are hundreds of clinics in each country that provide safe and fast treatments for dark skin.
Unlike Caucasian skin, dark skin needs to be treated slightly because of the high melanin concentration found in it. But now, laser hair removal for dark skin has become very easy and safe thanks to Nd:YAG laser technology.
We will talk about the importance of this technology for laser hair removal for dark skin in detail.
Cost Of Laser Treatment At Clinics
To get visible results that last long, you should at least get 6 laser hair removal sessions. Some people with darker skin might need more sessions than people who have fair skin. The mean disadvantage of that the cost of laser hair removal is increased. The more sessions you need, the more costy is your treatment. The cost of laser session at clinic is around $300 – $400. It may be cheaper or more expensive according to where do you live and where the clinic is located. Generally, treating large skin areas cost more money than treating small areas of the body as they need more pulses.
How To Prepare For Laser Hair Removal Treatments
There are some tips and precautions to be considered when preparing for laser hair removal treatments:
- Do a skin test
- Avoid tanning for at least a month before your laser hair removal session and 2 weeks after
- Shave for 2 days before your laser treatment
- Do not wax or use other traditional ways for at least 8 weeks before
- Cleanse your skin before the session
- Wear appropriate clothing
- After the treatment, use a numbing cream
- Ice the treated area after the session
Iluminage Touch … IPL Laser Hair Removal For Dark Skin
Iluminage Touch, the device for fair hair and dark skin
It’s a new beauty device produced by Iluminage Beauty brand which was founded in 2011. The Iluminage Touch from pH Beauty group is a magical permanent hair reduction device. it is a gift for those people who have darker skin tones and fair hair. Using elōs energy, it’s became the first and only FDA-cleared hair removal device proven to work on all skin tones and the widest range of hair colors.
- Integrated UV filter
- Gentle and easy to use
- Fast treatments
- Proven to treat all skin tones and a wide range on hair colors
- Effective especially on dark blond, brown, dark brown, and black hair
- Uses safe IPL combined with RF energy
- Affordable compared to the results
- Iluminage Touch “actually” gives 70-90% hair reduction after 7 treatments. Not as the site promised, but enough for the money and abilities. However, individual results may vary
- High-efficiency cartridge with 300,000 flashes which lives 4-6 years
- Good support team customer service
- 60-day money-back guarantee. If you did not get the results you wish, simply return the device and take back your money.
- Too slow results especially for blond and red hair colors
- Only 3 treatment levels
- No skin tone sensor
- Only corded, you may consider putting the device in a high, closed place
- Does not last for a very long period compared to some other devices as you need to treat the same area several times in the same treatment session
- There are faster, better devices on the market
- Flimsy bulb needs more attention and care
- If you did not follow the instructions faithfully word by word, you may see no results!
- Website info can be improved more than that
- Not returning the device until you do some steps then you may be able to return it “if there is still enough time!”
Laser Hair Removal For Dark Skin Side Effects
Your technician will do what it takes to minimize the common laser hair removal side effects on dark and medium brown skin tones such as hyperpigmentation, white patches, and skin darkening. It is not advised to start your treatment without testing the device first. Your doctor will do a test patch to make sure that the treatment is safe for your skin tone and hair type.
What To Do After Your Laser Hair Removal Session?
- You should care about your skin after your laser sessions. Try to avoid topical antibiotics or any medications that cause skin irritation or redness. We recommend applying a cool compress to the area you treated such as aloe vera and topical sedative creams. You should do that for 5 days post the laser treatment.
- Don’t do any activity that irritates your skin after your session. Don’t exercise for 24 hours after your session.
- Avoid waxing, shaving epilating, and hair removal creams for 2 weeks at least.
- Avoid direct sun exposure for 30 days. You should also avoid sun exposure for the whole treatment program as the laser used increases skin sensitivity.
- Don’t pick, wax or tweeze the treated area.
- Cleanse the area treated gently. Avoid rubbing the area treated for at least 24 hours post the treatment.
Laser hair removal for dark skin is safer than before. A few decades ago, it was impossible to get rid of unwanted hair for people who have medium and dark skin tones. Lased couldn’t distinguish between the melanin inside the hair follicle and the melanin in the skin cells. Now, there are laser machines that are precise to target the hair follicle safely and effectively. If you are going to have laser treatment, consult the doctor who is performing the treatment first. Make sure that you do a skin test before your appointment to avoid skin irritation and scarring if the light used wasn’t suitable for you.