how to use an epilator on the face in the right way? How to make facial epilation less painful? And tips for removing your facial hair at home for the first time.
I love my epilator! I have been using Braun Silk Epil Epilators for more than 5 years. So, I was excited to test and review using the epilator on the face. It was painful at first, but once you increase your pain threshold, it is nothing but the sound of your epilator. I will share with you the secrets of using the epilator on the face without pain and how to do so for the first time.
Table Of Contents
How to use an epilator on the face?
- Exfoliate your face using a gentle exfoliator first. You can exfoliate using a scrub or a cream if you don’t have an exfoliator. This step is important to reduce the risk of ingrown hairs.
- Make sure your face is dry and free of any products or creams before using your epilator on the face. During epilation, don’t add lotion or oils to your skin. Oil will make your face sticky and the process will be harder. I don’t recommend using lotion or oils immediately after epilation as that increases the risk of ingrown hairs and skin sensitivity reactions. Make sure that your face is clean and dry. Wait at least 24 hours before putting moisturizing creams or lotions on your face.
- Test the epilator before using it on your face. Make sure that you are not allergic to the epilator if you are using it for the first time. You can test it on your hand to know if your skin is sensitive to epilation or not.
- Make sure the hair is the right length. The hair should be longer than 2 mm to epilate easily. Many epilators today can remove short hair (0.5mm). And also, if the hair is too long, you can trim it using the trimming cap to epilator faster.
- Tug your skin tight as much as you can. If your skin is not tight, the epilator won’t be effective in removing every hair and you won’t get the best results you want. Instead, hold the skin taut. Try to relax and epilate your face slowly especially if it was your first time using an epilator on your face.
- Place the epilator on the area you are epilating and gentle move the device from one spot to another. Try to epilate the hairs in the opposite direction of their growth.
Can I use an epilator on my upper lip?
Yes. using the epilator on the upper lip is really easy and safe. Tug your skin tight to reduce the pain. Epilate the hair by moving the device over the upper lip. As this area of the face is very sensitive, you should be slow. Take your time as it is painful. You might experience redness of the upper lip after the epilation. It is normal and usually disappears within 2 days at max.
Cleaning Your Epilator Before Storage
Turn off your facial epilator. Detach the epilator head and use the cleaning brush for removing extra hairs. If you have a wet and dry epilator, you can clean it underwater in the bathroom. After removing the hairs, you can cleanse the epilator using alcohol to keep it hygienic.
What Should be done after epilating face?
- Avoid lotions and creams for at least 24 hours to avoid clogging the hair follicles.
- Use a FAB cleanser with fully natural ingredients to reduce skin irritation.
- Apply Aloe Vera Gel to moisturize your skin and calm it.
- Exfoliate after the epilation to prevent razor bumps and ingrown hairs
- If you are going to use a chemical exfoliator, wait for 2-3 days before using it on your face especially if your skin is very sensitive. Chemical exfoliators help remove dead skin cells and reduce anti-aging signs.
- Epilating your face is hard and painful. It may take months before you master using the epilator on your face. So, be realistic and don’t expect to remove all the hairs from the first epilation session.
- For men who have a full beard, using an epilator alone may not be a particle. You can use a combination of both IPL treatment and epilator to remove all unwanted hair. IPL and laser treatments will help you reach long-lasting results.
- You might need to use a razor or tweezers for top-ups if you are new to epilation. As the epilator may not remove all the hairs if you have thick hairs on your face.
Is it OK to Epilate the face?
Yes. many women use epilators on their faces safely. You can use the epilator on your chin, your upper lip, the cheeks, the sideburns in addition to the area between eyebrows. However, you shouldn’t use the epilator very close to your eyes.
- 7 Best Facial Hair Trimmers For Women At Affordable Prices
- Tweezerman Smooth Finish Facial Hair Removal Tool Review
- 7 Best Facial Hair Removal Products For Women Of 2021
- NoNo Hair Removal Unbiased
Tips For Using Your epilator on Face
- If you are new to epilation, you should epilate your face more frequently to get used to it. Your pain threshold increases and you will find the hairs grow less in number than before.
- Don’t forget to apply soothing gel such as aloe vera or tea tree oil to moisturize your skin. This way you may not get skin dryness after epilation. Avoid greasy lotions and moisturizers.
- Epilating your facial hair will give you long-lasting results. When I use the epilator on my face, I don’t need to shave for 3-4 weeks. Over time, the hairs grow slower and finer than before. That’s why I like epilating more than waxing. Also, you don’t need to wait until the hairs are too long. On the other hand, waxing is more painful and the hairs must be too long to wax.
Now you know more information about how to use an epilator on your face for the first time. If you are looking for the best epilator in the market, don’t forget to check my full guide of top-selling epilators and my reviews of them. Also, you can check my reviews of Braun Silk Epil models here:
- How To Use Braun Silk Epil 7 [Ultimate Review]
- Braun Silk Epil 9 Skin Spa Models
- How To Use Braun Epilator 3 – Budget Epilator
- Braun Silk Epil Wet & Dry Epilator 9-720 Review
- Braun Silk Epil 5 Epilator Tested and Reviewed
I would be happy to hear your reviews in the comments!