Hair removal is a big big dilemma for nearly all women since the begging of humanity. When you decide to face that problem, I mean unwanted hair on improper areas, you either get your skin irritated or swell. But, with evolution of science and advancement of technology, you are offered so many ways to easily remove unwanted hair. One of those methods is the epilator.
Epilation is a form, yet more advanced, of waxing. It totally depends on a palm-size machine which pulls out the hair of its root. Anyway, either of the ways are harmful. However, an epilator can be widely modified to lower the pain level. Moreover, there are epilators that feature cordless use with a built-in rechargeable battery which allows wet epilation. Let’s save words about features for the “best devices” section.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Epilation VS. Waxing
- 2 Best Epilators on The Market
- 3 1- Philips Satinelle Prestige Wet& Dry BRE648
- 4 2- Philips Satinelle Advanced Wet&Dry BRE635
- 5 3- Braun Silk-epil 9 Wet&Dry SkinSpa
- 6 4- Braun Silk-epil 7 Wet&Dry
- 7 5- Remington Smooth & Silky Rechargeable Epilator EP7030
- 8 6- Emjoi eMagine Rechargeable AP-18R Dual Epilator
- 9 7- Remington Smooth & Silky Facial Epilator EP1050CDN
- 10 How To Choose The Best Epilator? How To Evaluate an Epilator?
- 11 How To Epilate / Ease of Use
- 12 Conclusion
Epilation VS. Waxing
So, as with waxing, epilation is removing unwanted hairs by pulling them out of the roots. But, as we mentioned before, epilators can be modified to lower the pain than waxing. Add that you are to save a BIG amount of money which you’ll spend on monthly waxing sessions.
Briefly, an epilator is faster, easier to use, more convenient, and less painful than waxing.
Read More About Differences Between Epilators & Waxing
Best Epilators on The Market
With evolution of science and technology there is a new hair removal device each new day. Each device differs from the previous one. They vary between traditional (or manual), mechanical, electrical, and light-based hair removal devices.
So, to make it easy for you to make your decision, our team have searched for the best devices occupy the market. We have collected their characteristics, features, pros, cons, and user reviews.
1- Philips Satinelle Prestige Wet& Dry BRE648
Philips Satinelle Prestige BRE648 is sitting on the thrown! Our top-rated epilator is a result of developing over 4 versions of the Philips epilator.
This epilator promises with 4 weeks of silky hair-free skin. With ceramic discs, 32 tweezers, S-shaped Philips Satinelle BRE648 is and elegant, easy-to-use epilator.
S-shaped Philips Satinelle BRE648 is the ergonomic award winner for best design. It features a flawless design for more control during wet epilation.
Moreover, it can be used cordless ,it’s rechargeable, and it works on wet & dry skin.
Philips epilator is provided with a rechargeable battery that fully charges after 1.5h, enough to make it work for 40m.
This amazing epilator uses 32 micro-ridged tweezing disks made of ceramic for more effective use.
In addition, Philips epilator BRE648 features an extra 30mm wider epilation head for faster epilation.
It’s provided with a light lamp in front of the head to give more vision on fair hair during epilating.
You’ll find 2 speed settings. The slower setting lets you epilate sensitive areas and hard-to-reach areas more delicately. You can also use this setting if it’s your first time to epilate to lower the discomfort.
There are also 2 precision caps that can be added to the head to help in epilating small, sensitive areas.
Philips Satinelle BRE648 can be used on body and face. After you epilate, there is the after-care for your skin smoothness and softness.
Philips epilator epilates hair as short as 0.5mm up to 5mm long.
Attachments & Accessories
Philips Satinelle Prestige BRE648 is provided with 9 extras when purchased from the official website or from Amazon:
- Trimmer comb
- Shaver head, turns the epilator into electrical shaver
- Small, delicate areas cap for bikini area and underarms
- Larger facial cap for use on face
- Efficiency cap
- Massage cap
- Exfoliator body cap
- Body massager
- And a storage Pouch
Philips Satinelle Epilator Price
This awesome epilator with the 9 extras cost only $119.99 as RRP. But, you will find it cheaper on Amazon and other retailers with sales up to %30.
Philips Satinelle BRE648 Pros
- Fast yet effective epilation
- Really easy to use
- Epilator, massager, and after-care system
- Turns into a shaver or a trimmer when needed
- 9 accessories
- Great for use on face and sensitive areas
- Rechargeable lithium battery lasts for 40 minutes
- Features cordless use
- Can be used on wet & dry skin
- Comfortable design gives more control on wet skin
- Affordable compared with other epilators that give similar results
- No need to wait hair re-growth, it removes hair as short as 0.5mm and up to 5mm long
- 2 speed settings for beginners and sensitive areas
- A wider head, 30mm wide
- Uses micro-ridged disks made of ceramic
- 32 tweezers
Philips Satinelle BRE648 Cons
- Takes 1.5 hour to fully charge
- Average battery life lasts only 40 min
Philips Satinelle Prestige is 3.9 star rated on Amazon. Actually, from a point of view, it deserves this to some extent. But, I also think it’s a little bit biased rating.
Most people gave Philips Satinelle Prestige this rate because of comparisons. One who uses another epilator with a wider head or more tweezers come and give Philips 2 stars! Why on earth would one do so?
The device is great, in my opinion. 32 tweezers are not a few number. In fact, there are devices on the market that only work with 9 and even 7 tweezers.
The other problem is the painful epilation. Man, it’s epilation! What do expect? However, there are solutions to lower the pain caused by epilators.
Note that some of these solutions are already provided with the epilator!
As we mentioned before, our team rated Philips Satinelle Prestige as the best epilator up till now. It’s an excellent epilator with great features and greater abilities. Moreover, it’s a 4-in-1 epilator, shaver, trimmer, and massager.
In addition, around $90 is not that expensive for all these benefits.
So, we give this Philips epilator 4.9 star rating.
2- Philips Satinelle Advanced Wet&Dry BRE635
To solve the problem of price – and “unnecessary” attachments as pretended, Philips Satinelle Advanced is here. It only costs $69.99 as RRP and on Amazon. Check regularly retailers for sales which usually reach %15 off.
Philips Satinelle Advanced comes with the same large head with 32 tweezers. Moreover, it uses micro-ridged disks, chargeable battery enough for 40min, charges in 1.5h, wet&dry, cordless, 2 settings, but 2-in-1 (shaver).
Differences between Philips Satinelle Prestige & Philips Satinelle Advanced
- Differences are in the accessories. Unlike the 4-in-1 Prestige, Philips Satinelle Advanced is a 2-in-1 epilator and shaver only. It doesn’t work as a body massager or body exfoliator.
As an epilator which is similar to our top-rated device with slight differences and lower price, it deserves 4.5 Star rating. It’s really a great edition for those who think that many accessories are crap!
3- Braun Silk-epil 9 Wet&Dry SkinSpa
Braun Silk-epil 9 SkinSpa is a hair removal super hero! The device is very convenient and effective that it removes hair with 0.5 mm length. Moreover, Braun Silk-epil 9 promises up to 4 weeks of silky-smooth hair-free skin. All this is nearly common! The uncommon micro-grip technology allows you to remove most hair with only one glide. Have a look down here:
Braun Silk-epil 9 SkinSpa provides a 40% wider head than previous Braun epilators. The wide head allows you to remove more hair at shorter time.
Moreover, Braun Silk epil 9 has 40 long tweezers use the micro-grip technology that makes them catch even the smallest hair.
For more vision, there is a smartlight lamp that makes even the finest hair visible and easier to be removed.
More important is the wet & dry use featured by Braun Silk-epil 9 SkinSpa. This lets you gently remove hair with less pain. In addition, Braun Silk-epil 9 provides cordless use.
Gentle speed setting for beginners, first-time use on an area, and for sensitive areas.
Also, there is a smaller epilator attachment for more precision when use on sensitive areas.
Braun Silk-epil 9 is provided with small vibrator heads work as a massage system. The vibrations make the epilation more gentle and painless.
Add that the spinning head is adapting to your body curves to provide more control and easier epilation.
Last but not least, a rechargeable battery fully charges in 1 hour for 40 min of use.
Attachments & Accessories
Braun Silk-epil 9 SkinSpa comes with 12 extras. 10 attachments, a plug, and a pouch.
- Shaver head turns Braun Silk-epil 9 into an electric shaver
- Trimmer cap turns it into a trimmer
- Smaller power cap
- Facial cap for face epilation
- 2 Protection caps
- Skin massager for more shiny, lively skin
- Deep exfoliation brush to sweep dead skin cells
- Gentle exfoliation brush for sensitive areas
- Cleaning brush efficiently cleans your epilator after each use
Braun Silk-epil 9 SkinSpa Price
Braun Silk-epil 9 SkinSpa costs $149.99 as recommended retail price. However, the epilation system costs less than that on Amazon and other retailers such as Walmart.
Braun Silk-epil 9 Pros
- Really effective and easy to use
- Long lasting results up to 4 weeks of smooth, hair-free skin
- Effective on the smallest hair from 0.5 mm to 5 mm long
- Great facial epilator very suitable for between eyebrows and upper lip
- 40 tweezers with micro-grip technology
- 40% Wider head than previous models
- Smartlight for more vision on fair hair
- Fast Recharge, takes only 1 hour to be fully charged
- Wet & dry
- 2 speed settings
- Massage system
- Dynamic head
- A lifelong product with a solid body lasts for years
- Multifunctional epilator works as a shaver and a trimmer with the shaver and trimmer caps
- 10 attachments
Braun Silk-epil 9 Cons
- Pricy compared to other epilators that give similar results
- Average battery life lasts only 40 min
Almost all customers are satisfied with the product. They give it 4/5 stars. Any product has to have haters anyway.
Just like Philips Satinelle Prestige, nearly all negative reviews or comments are about sensitive skin and pain. However, the same solutions to lower the pain are given.
On contrary, people who say it’s painful are angry because of the price. They say that why would they buy numbing creams or pain lowering products while they just paid lots of money for this epilator.
At this point, they’re right! That’s why we give this product a 4.5 stars rating.
Anyway, what did they expect. Man it’s an epilator! Add that no one fueled them and said it’s painless. Contrariwise, the manufacturer said that they tried to make it less painful than other epilators.
Actually, we didn’t find any negative comments on this product except for the price and the battery life. However, it’s not a serious problem as it gives you extra treatments for years.
But, the real problem for most people is 40-minute battery life. As a beginner, it takes you more than 40 min to fully epilate you body. But, after many uses and you get used to it you will find it much easier and faster to epilate.
So, Braun Silk-epil 9 SkinSpa is the ideal friend of women, at least in our opinion. That’s why we give Braun Silk-epil 9 SkinSpa a 4.7 stars rating.
4- Braun Silk-epil 7 Wet&Dry
If you want to avoid the price issue, we present to you the Braun Silk-epil 7 7-561 with 8 extras. This amazing epilator is the older version of Braun Silk-epil 9. However, there are slight differences between them that make Braun Silk-epil 7 a not-so-bad epilator.
Braun Silk-epil 7 costs $119.99 RRP, which is $30 less than Braun Silk epil 9. You will find it on Amazon and other retailers for around $90.
Differences between Braun Silk-epil 9 & Braun Silk-epil 7
- 40% wider head that comes with Braun Silk-epil 9.
- Braun Silk-epil 7 doesn’t use micro-grip technology, it uses close grip technology instead, which is not bad.
- Braun Silk-epil 7 includes “softlift tips” , they make the epilation easier and more delicate.
- Other differences are in the accessories that are not so important anyway. However, Braun Silk-epil 7 doesn’t include the sonic exfoliation brush or the face cleansing brush.
However, there still is better epilators at lower prices such as the previously mentioned Philips epilators.
Another great Braun epilator with amazing features and accessories, but less than the following model, Braun Silk-epil 7 is 4.4 star rated. However, and just like Philips Sat Advanced BRE635, it’s suitable for those who prefer cheaper epilators with less accessories.
5- Remington Smooth & Silky Rechargeable Epilator EP7030
The famous Remington specialized in hair removal technologies is here with a great epilator. Remington Smooth & Silky Rechargeable EP7030 used wet & dry is an amazing epilator that provides you with many features at lower price. Its uniquely designed body and epilation cap highly affects its rating.
First of all, the name explains itself, Remington Smooth & Silky Rechargeable Wet/Dry Face & Body Epilator.
It’s a great rechargeable epilator that features cordless use for more freedom and control during epilation. Moreover, this Remington epilator is used wet & dry in order to lower the pain level.
Moreover, it’s waterproof, this makes it possible to epilate while at the shower.
It comes with 40 tweezers that work together for fast, effective epilation. These are lots of tweezers capable of removing multiple hairs faster than many other epilators.
Moreover, Remington Smooth & Silky EP7030 is provided with a head that works more like a “stem“. The pivoting head makes it possible to epilate the right angle suitable to each individual hair.
It also comes with an indicator light built into the epilator which reveals the finest hair.
In Addition, Remington Smooth & Silky head is also made angled to ensure you get optimal epilation. So, all of the three features, the indicator light, angled cap, and pivoting head work together to provide you with more comfortable epilation.
Also, this Remington’s epilator comes in 2 speeds, high and low. The lower setting allows you to epilate smoothly on sensitive areas and first-time epilation.
Moreover, there’s the narrower precision cap which is used on face and hard-to-reach areas.
A very important feature which is not found at any other epilator is the aloe vera massaging cap. Remington Smooth & Silky EP7030 has a little narrower massage cap provided with aloe vera for soothing you skin.
This epilator promises with long-lasting results up to six weeks of hair-free skin. Individual results may vary depending on hormones and use.
Attachments & Accessories
When you purchase Remington Smooth & Silky EP7030 you get 2 additional caps, massaging cap and precision cap. Each cap’s use is mentioned above in the features section.
Anyway, the massaging cap is provided with aloe vera for more comfort and soothing. The precision cap is used on face and hard-to-reach areas.
Remington Smooth & Silky Epilator EP7030 Price
This great epilator with greater benefits costs only $69.99 on the official website. Moreover, it’s found on Amazon and retailers for less than that ($41 at the time this review is written).
So, this is a really good investment for money. But, anyway, before you make you’re decision, have a look at its cons. You may find a better yet more expensive epilator which fulfills your needs more than this one.
Remington Smooth & Silky EP7030 Pros
- Fast epilation with 40 tweezers
- Effective and easy to use
- 2-in-1 epilator and massager
- Soothing massaging cap with aloe vera
- Suitable for epilating body and face with the precision cap
- Rechargeable battery
- Cordless use
- Can be used wet & dry
- Waterproof for use in the shower
- Improved pivoting head design suitable for skin curves
- Indicator light helps in revealing fair hair
- Really affordable price compared to many other epilators
- It removes hair 0.5mm-5mm long
- Long-lasting results, 4-6 weeks
- 2 speed settings
- 40 tweezers
Remington Smooth & Silky EP7030 Cons
- Not many accessories
- More painful than some other epilators
- There are better, more comfortable epilators
Just like other medium-rated epilators, the problem is the high pain and the loud sound. However, no reviews are telling the full truth. So, I’ll just present to you the average customer rate up till now. Remington Smooth & Silky EP7030 is rated with 3.6 star on Amazon. It’s a really tough judgement, but, as I said, it’s a rating based on incomplete stories. So, I think it deserves a higher rate, not very much higher anyway!
To be fair and unbiased, Remington Smooth & Silky EP7030 actually deserves 4.3 star rate compared to other same-results epilators. It’s really a great epilator only for $69.99 which can also be found in retailers for around $40! So, what do you expect more than epilating from a device with this price! Remington Smooth & Silky EP7030 is giving you more than that!
6- Emjoi eMagine Rechargeable AP-18R Dual Epilator
Emjoi eMagine AP18R Rechargeable is the perfect epilator tailored and customized just for epilation. This hair removal machine is called dual epilator as it really works as 2 epilators in one body. Such a feature should make it competing on the best epilator ever! But, we did not consider it as our top-rated because of its restricted use. In addition, it lakes for some important, helpful features that can be found at other epilators.
Emjoi eMagine Rechargeable is an improved version of an older one called Emjoi eMagine Corded. As the name suggests, it’s a corded & cordless epilator that uses a rechargeable high quality battery. So, it can work through cord if the battery is dying.
Moreover, Emjoi eMagine Rechargeable has 72 tweezers divided onto 2 dual-opposed heads. This big number of tweezers save any possible skin irritation or redness as they efficiently remove hair faster. The dual-opposed heads are working together in opposite directions to give better results. Moreover, they help in stretching your skin for easier epilation.
Alos, Emjoi eMagine epilator each disk set consist of 3 disks, one is fixed and two that open and close. This process makes the epilator more efficient and catches more hair.
Emjoi eMagine Rechargeable can be used on all body areas. Moreover, the manufacturer says it’s suitable for use on face, although it doesn’t have a facial cap. However, the manufacturer promises with 4-6 weeks of hair-free, silky-smooth skin.
The epilator comes with 2 accessories, a cleaning brush and a travel pouch. In addition, it’s provided with a worldwide cord 110v-240v power.
It comes with 2 speed settings for beginners, first-time use on any area, and for use on sensitive areas.
Attachments & Accessories
Unluckily, Emjoi eMagine AP-18R doesn’t have many extras as it only comes with 2. When you purchase this epilator you get a cleaning brush, travel pouch, and an instruction booklet.
However, you can buy a shaver head from retailers or from the official site which will make it work like an electric shaver.
Emjoi eMagine Price
This great epilator with the amazing abilities costs $119.99 on the official website. You may also find it in retailers for around $75 after sale. Make sure to regularly check for sales and discounts.
Emjoi eMagine AP-18R Pros
- A very effective device and really easy to use
- Very fast epilator removes hair in less time
- More long lasting results up to 6 weeks of hair-free skin
- As other epilators, Emjoi eMagine AP-18R works on hair with 0.5mm-5mm long
- Efficient 72 tweezers for faster epilation
- Dual-opposed heads that cover more area in less time
- Can be used corded or cordless
- 2 speed settings
- A curved body and head suitable for body curves
- An epilator that does the typical job more efficiently than others
Emjoi eMagine AP-18R Cons
- No smart light
- Not waterproof
- Only used dry
- Only 2 accessories
- No shaver or exfoliator head
- A little bit pricy especially after you add the separated shaver head price
It has a good rating as most customers as satisfied with it. However, other negative reviews do not tell the full story. Actually, most of them are talking about the very same problem with other epilators that they are painful. Other negative reviews say it’s not durable, although many other positive reviews say the opposite.
Anyway, it’s a pretty good device just like the older version of it, Emjoi emagine AP18, which has the very same customer reviews.
I say it’s a great epilator that just deliver the job effectively and successfully. Although it does not feature many uses like other epilators do, but it’s still amazing. It can be used on body and face, add that it’s faster and more effective than many other epilators.
So, we rated this epilator with a merited 4.2 star rate.
7- Remington Smooth & Silky Facial Epilator EP1050CDN
After all those amazing epilators with different prices and features, we dedicated our last top-rated-devices section for a facial epilator. And of course no device other than Remington Smooth & Silky EP1050CDN can occupy this section. It’s a very good epilator with precise, compact design for use on face and detailed areas.
Remington Smooth & Silky EP1050 is a tiny bit, battery operated epilator. It works using 6 tweezers that work together gently and smoothly to epilate facial and sensitive areas’ hair.
This Remington epilator has a wire-free design for more control during epilating and more freedom to epilate detailed areas.
Moreover, it has a unique safety system that makes it stop working if strongly pressed on the skin.
It’s less annoying and more convenient. In addition, its 6 tweezers head works effectively yet softly on skin in order not to cause irritation or redness.
Remington Smooth & Silky EP1050 has a cleaning brush to clean the epilator after each use. Moreover, it has a protective cap to protect the epilator when stored.
Add that this tinny epilator delivers up to 6 weeks of hair-free, smooth skin. However, individual results vary depending on personal use.
Attachments & Accessories
As a facial epilator, it doesn’t include many extras which is not a bad thing anyway. When you purchase Remington Smooth & Silky EP1050 you get 2 accessories:
- Protective cap provides more protection when stored
- Cleaning brush makes it easier to clean the epilator head
Remington Smooth & Silky EP1050 Price
This tinny yet great epilator costs around $13 only on Amazon at the time this review is published. Of course it’s a great price for a facial epilator that removes hair for up to 6 weeks. That’s why we made this epilator one of our top rated.
Remington Smooth & Silky EP1050 Pros
- Convenient and effective
- Easy to use on face and detailed areas
- Fast epilation
- Safety system
- 6 tweezers
- Cleaning brush and facial cap
- Cordless use
- Cheaper than all other epilator which most of them deliver less good results
- Up to 6 weeks of hair-free skin
Remington Smooth & Silky EP1050 Cons
- Battery operated – not rechargeable
- Ongoing cost – only for a battery. However, it’s still a disadvantage
- Not waterproof
- No wet use
- A bit loud
Remington Smooth & Silky EP1050 is ranked with 3.5 star rating on Amazon. However, this rating is based on more than 450 reviews which nearly 50% of them gave it 5 stars.
If you ask me, it’s a very good ranking. All devices has to have haters, and this one is no exception. When around 225 persons love your product with 5 star rating and another 225 give it medium rating, this is quite fulfilling for a facial epilator
Anyway, almost %75 gave this product positive reviews. So, even customer reviews are in favor of Remington Smooth & Silky EP1050CDN.
This precise epilator is a small yet majestic machine. It perfectly performs what it’s made for. However, the battery-operated epilator is a problem for those who don’t like to pay more money for replacement batteries.
But, it’s not a real problem anyway. The really negative thing which lowers its rating is that it’s not waterproof and no wet use. So, we gave this epilator a well-deserved 4 star rating.
How To Choose The Best Epilator? How To Evaluate an Epilator?
There have been many epilators on the market that you cannot count. So, we provided you with some standards that help you choose your best suitable epilator.
- Wet & dry: an important factor that counts in favor of an epilator is the wet use. This is great extension which helps lowering the pain caused by epilators. Also, it would be better to choose a waterproof epilator for more safety guarantee.
- Cord & cordless: If you’re choosing between two devices which one of them is corded and the other is cordless, we absolutely recommend the cordless one. But, if you’ve the opportunity to have a device that works using the two methods, then don’t miss it. Cordless use make it a lot easier and faster to epilate, especially for hard-to-reach areas or when travelling.
The only problem which may you may face is recharging. While using an epilator that features the 2 methods, this will help in uninterruptible epilation. If your epilator’s battery is dying, just connect the cord and keep epilating.
- Face & body: It would be much better to use only one epilator for full body and face. Moreover, there’re epilators that work on all body areas provided with special accessories for each area such as Braun Silk-epil 9 or Philips Satinelle Prestige. In addition, the cost is not “ongoing” as these epilators are developed and improved for lifelong personal use.
- Number of tweezers: A good epilator has no less than 30 tweezers. However, this depends on which area you’re buying this epilator for. Anyway, this is a very important factor if you’re searching for an epilator for full body use. But, always search for comfort level along with tweezers.
How To Epilate / Ease of Use
Almost all epilators are very easy to use. You will not face any trouble while using an epilator whether in body or face. Contrariwise, there are epilators that facilitate the epilation by adding some features such as pivoting heads and smart light. Anyway, we made this little epilator user-guide for you in order to make it easier when epilating:
- #1 Preparation phase: Exfoliate your skin to avoid ingrown hair. You can either use an exfoliating scrub, rub using a dry towel, or use an epilator that comes with an exfoliating brush such as Braun Silk-epil 9 SkinSpa.
- #2 Standby: Hold the epilator steady against your skin at a 90-degree angel.
- #3 Start epilating: Glide over the targeted area slowly and easily, do not press down too hard, just make the device touch your skin and glide. Make sure to glide in various angles to efficiently remove all hair.
- #4 After-care: Always use massage accessories if included to the epilator or use numbing creams to lower the pain. Also, if you’re going out one night, make sure to epilate in the morning to give more time for any irritation or redness to disappear. In other words, do not epilate right before you go out.
Epilation is a good hair removal technique. It removes hair of its roots and gives 4-6 weeks of hair-free skin. However, believe me when I say it’s PAINFUL. Pain is never a good thing while you’re doing the most tedious, time-consuming process in your entire life. Now it has become boring and painful!
I’m not saying that it’s not good for you, epilators are really convenient and effective anyway. More important, they give great long-lasting results in low prices. But, they are made for those who fear light-based permanent hair removal such as laser and IPL. So, if you’re one who’re looking for “MORE” long-lasting results, then we strongly recommend reading our Guide To IPL & Laser Hair Removal Devices At-Home.